Altimeter Group defines social data intelligence as “insight derived from social data that organizations can use confidently, at scale, and in conjunction with other data sources to make strategic decisions.”
A comprehensive social data intelligence strategy encompasses a clear scope; support of business goals; understanding of industry, company and historical data in context; clear governance; and development of metrics that yield insight and drive meaningful results.
Social Business Measurement Framework
Altimeter Group works with Global 2000 clients to develop a social business measurement strategy and framework that yields strategic KPIs and produces actionable intelligence that can be used throughout the organization.
Employees and executives with social business, digital, marketing and/or analytics responsibilities throughout the enterprise.
Thirteen different departments–-from Marketing to Customer Support to Legal and HR–-are actively engaged in social media, yet most organizations find it challenging to link social media to valued business outcomes. The result, left unchecked, is social business as a cost center, rather than a driver of value, leaving the organization at risk for threats to brand reputation, customer experience and financial performance.
Altimeter’s Social Business Measurement Framework is based on interviews with stakeholders comprising key roles throughout the organization, as well as detailed review of existing reporting processes, governance and deliverables. Major areas covered in the evaluation include (but are not limited to):
- Strategy: Explicitly tie measures and KPIs to business strategy and priority outcomes.
- Measurement: Define and/or recommend actionable metrics, as well as criteria to develop them into Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Organization: Recommend governance processes and identify resourcing gaps that may affect the ability to deliver strategic measures to the business. Help the organization prioritize metrics and develop roadmaps for delivery.
- Tools: Evaluate current tool set and recommend alternatives based on organizational requirements.
Deliverables are included (but not limited to):
- Summary of findings and stakeholder feedback
- Presentation of one 50-page PowerPoint document including recommendations on the above. Recommend roadmap (immediate to 18 months)
- Eight (8) hours to be used for ad-hoc advisory on topics of the client’s choice.
Timeframe and Process
Typically 8-12 weeks to complete the following:
- Phase I: Kickoff and Plan Development (1-3 weeks)
- Phase 2: Discovery (3-8 weeks)
- Phase 3: Analysis and Recommendations (3-5 weeks)
Dependent on number of interviews, extent of tool evaluation and any additional needs identified.
Our advisory is based upon research. For previous research related to this offering, please refer to:
- Report: Social Data Intelligence: Integrating Social and Enterprise Data for Competitive Advantage (July 25, 2013)
- Report: The Social Media ROI Cookbook: Six Ingredients Top Brands Use to Measure the Revenue Impact of Social Media (August 10, 2011)
- Report: A Framework for Social Analytics (August 10, 2011)