Charlene Li is the founder and current Managing Partner of Altimeter Group, and author of The New York Times bestseller Open Leadership. She is also the coauthor of the critically acclaimed, bestselling book Groundswell, named one of 2008′s best business books. She is one of the foremost experts on social media, and a consultant and independent thought leader on leadership, strategy, social technologies, interactive media, and marketing. Formerly, Charlene was vice president and principal analyst at Forrester Research and a consultant with Monitor Group.
Charlene is a frequently-quoted expert, having appeared on 60 Minutes, The PBS NewsHour, ABC News, and CNN. She is also frequently quoted by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Economist, Businessweek, USAToday, Reuters, and The Associated Press. She is a much-sought-after public speaker and appeared at the World Business Forum in Radio City Music Hall in October 2010. Fast Company recognized Charlene as one of the 100 most creative people in business in 2010, and one of the most influential women in technology in 2009.
Charlene is a graduate of Harvard Business School and received a magna cum laude degree from Harvard College. She serves on the Board of Directors of the Harvard Alumni Association and is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on New Models of Leadership. You can follow her blog at charleneli.com/blog or at twitter.com/charleneli.
Charlene is the mother of two kids and the wife of Come Lague, CEO of Zetta Research. She is also a self-professed geek, an avid fan of reality TV shows like Survivor, and loves to play puzzle games. She lives in the Bay Area with her family.
- Social Media Education for Employees: Reduce Social Media Risk and Activate Employees for Scale
- The State of Social Business 2013: The Maturing of Social Media into Social Business
- The Evolution of Social Business: Six Stages of Social Business Transformation
- Making the Business Case for Enterprise Social Networks
- How Businesses Should Prioritize Social Business Budgets
- Four Components of a Social Media Education Program
- The Six Stages of Social Business Transformation
- Success Factors of a Social Business Strategy
- How Public and Enterprise Social Networks are Similar and Different
- Four Ways Enterprise Social Networks Drive Business Value
- Groundswell: Winning In a World Transformed by Social Technologies
- Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform How You Lead
- The Seven Success Factors of Social Business Strategy
Awards and Achievements
- Named by Fast Company as one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2010
- Open Leadership debuted at #5 on The New York Times bestseller list, May 2010
- Groundswell named the recipient of the 2009 Berry-AMA Book Prize for the best book in marketing
- Named by Fast Company as one of The Most Influential Women in Technology
- Groundswell named by CIO Insight as one of the Top 10 Business- Tech Books of 2008
- Named by Fast Company as one of The 12 Most Creative Minds of 2008
- Groundswell named by Businessweek as one of the Best Innovation & Design Books of 2008
- Groundswell named by strategy+business as one of the Best Business Books 2008 and “Top Shelf” in Marketing
- Groundswell named one of 10 Insightful Web 2.0 Books by CIO Insight
- Groundswell, coauthored with Josh Bernoff, named by Amazon as one of the Top 10 Business & Investing Books of 2008
- Named by AdAge as one of its top 40 Women to Watch in 2008
- Named by NowPublic as one of the 50 most influential people in Silicon Valley
Charlene regularly speaks about the concepts in her book Open Leadership, specifically the organizational, strategic, and leadership impacts of social technologies. She also speaks about how companies can create robust and resilient strategies in the face of disruptive trends, as well as how to discern which technologies are most important to individual companies.
For a list of upcoming speaking engagements, please visit Charlene’s website.
- Disruptive Business Strategy
- Social Business Strategy
- Leadership and Change Management in the Face of Disruption
- Consumer Adoption of Disruptive Technologies
- Enterprise Social Networks
- Social Media Training
How to Contact Charlene
- E: email@example.com
- P: 650.212.2272
- Charlene’s EA: Susan Wu, at
- Request a briefing