Charlene Li sat down with Ken Blanchard, the author of The One Minute Manager, on the morning of June 21st, 2011 to discuss how leadership is being affected by social media. Informed by over three decades of experience, Ken’s insights into how the paradigms of leadership have shifted are both insightful and inspiring. Ken reminds leaders “It’s not about you. It’s about the people you’re serving” and Charlene agrees, “Social media isn’t about the fancy new technology, it’s about the ability to build relationships.”
Here are a few highlights from the webinar:
- Good leaders are empowerment freaks, not control freaks, and you can’t empower people if you don’t share information with them.
- The best leaders embrace the fact that they cant control information.
- People with humility don’t think less of themselves, they just think of themselves less.
- To get leaders started with social technologies, focus on sharing and being open, not the tools. Having top management on board is a key to fully leveraging social technologies.
- We have the technology to measure social media, we dont yet know how to measure relationships.
- An internal workforce that is socially adept is a great prelude to interacting externally.
Watch a video recording of the webinar here: